Thursday, May 2, 2013

Trying to Follow the Reintroduction Protocol

So now that my Whole30 is over, I am desperately trying to control myself and follow the reintroduction protocol as described in It Starts with Food.

Day 31 - Reintroduce dairy
Day 34 - Reintroduce gluten containing grains
Day 37 - Reintroduce non gluten containing grains
Day 40 - Reintroduce legumes

You're supposed to eat compliant other than the item that you're testing, so if you have any reactions you'll know that it was that item.  Between each item you eat compliant to reset your system.

Day 31 - I consumed some half and half in my morning coffee.  I had a bit of cheese on my lunch as well as a Greek yogurt.  Did I notice a difference?  I don't think I had any adverse reactions, praise the cheese gods!  I actually ended up skipping breakfast completely and then didn't even have the urge to snack all afternoon.  Interesting.

And then came Day 32, I was supposed to eat compliant but my coworkers planned a trip to an awesome Mexican restaurant followed by some froyo for dessert.  I kept my noncompliant items in the dairy category with some sour cream, cheese, and frozen yogurt but also couldn't resist a pina colada margarita (hello it was 70 degrees and we were sitting out on the patio in the sun!) that obviously added some booze and more sugar to the equation.  Sugar and booze aren't included in the reintroduction items, but it would be nice to know exactly how each affects me, so maybe I'll try and test those as well.  Could I have passed on the lunch?  Could I have gone and just eaten more compliant?  Yes and yes.  But damnit the Whole30 is over and I wanted to enjoy!  I left lunch feeling a little tummy bloat and I definitely experienced a food coma.  I really wanted to take a nap under my desk.  An hour later I had a little bit of tummy discomfort.

And then it continues.  Tomorrow, Day 33, we have a double date planned at a Creole fusion restaurant.  Now, I'm not saying I'm going to stuff my face with pasta, but I'm not going to pick apart a delicious Cajun dish to make it compliant.  Day 34 is more of the same, we're going into the city to grab lunch with a friend after we pick up Dave's race packet and I'm not sure how compliant my meal will be.

And now this sounds like another I'm failing the Whole30 stuff because I just don't care enough to control myself post.  Are you getting sick of these?  I don't know, I'm just trying to be honest.  I guess the only thing I can do is just do my best to be compliant when I can and otherwise listen to my body to try and determine how things are affecting me.  Or maybe I'll just continue to enjoy some dairy and I'll push back reintroducing other things until after this weekend.  We shall see, the journey continues...

Do you know how each food group affects you?  Have you ever noticed certain things having negative effects on your body?

6 comments:

  1. Sugar makes my body ache the next day (like a sugar binge, not small amounts). Otherwise I don't really notice serious reactions to anything. I just generally feel better if I eat whole food/ paleo-ish. I truly enjoy some dairy and don't find myself having any issues, so that's why added it back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty much the same as Tiffany, I don't have any real reactions to dairy so I have it occasionally. Wheat on the other hand....noooooo way can I have it, I get so bloated and my tummy just hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to reintroduce things to your system once you've removed them for so long. Good luck at the pasta restaurant!!! I'm sure I'm not alone in this but spicy foods kill my system. It's totally worth it though (hello, sriracha?)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done a Whole30 before but I am aware of the program (and the reintroduction stages.)
    I find it's easier for me to say no to gluten than other more tempting things like dairy or sugar. Probably because I have more severe reactions from gluten (rosacea flare ups, bloating etc). It really does suck going out to restaurants and "depriving" myself, especially on special occasions. Hopefully when my 21DSD is over I wont go buck wild crazy over ice cream. *Fingers crossed*. Congrats on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dairy makes my hands itchy about 6 hours after consumption.

    No, I'm not sick of these posts. It's healthy to be honest with yourself, and gives hope to the rest of us that have the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sick of the posts, but I worry that you don't seem willing to make healthy( or healthier) choices at restaurants. It's entirely possible to do so. I mean, there are always going to be restaurant meals/out. For me, it's 2-3 times a week. If I can't eat cleanly at restaurants, I'm doomed. I spent too many years enjoying restaurant food then trying to make up for it the rest of the week. It's not healthy and frankly, long term, it doesn't work. I know you know this. I hope you get back on track soon, for your own good. Tough love, but only because I want you to succeed...for you.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...