- Monday, better than nothing arms & abs workout- Tuesday, 3.70 mi in a close by development, 40:01
- Wednesday, 5.01 mi in the park, 57:26
- Friday, 2.04 mi with Dave, 21 mins
- Sunday, 3.03 mi in the park, 33:15, 15 minute dog walk
- Total Mileage = 13.75 mi
Goals for week 11:
- Run 4 times: A+
- Arms & abs twice: D
Well I got my 4 runs in this week. I really didn't want to run Friday or Sunday but Dave helped me out with some motivation! I was really excited about getting 4 runs in 2 weeks in a row... but now I have super sore shins. Womp womp! I think it could be adding too many miles too quickly, running too many hills, or possibly the result of some drunk jogging (to the train on Saturday) in crappy shoes. Maybe it's a combo of everything, I don't know. Right now I'm just praying that the soreness will go away soon and I won't be plagued with shin splints!
My plan of action, some good old RICE!
- I will decide how must rest I need by listening to my body. I'm trying to decide if running 4 days a week is actually in my best interest in general. Maybe I just need to trade a day for some cross training.
- I haven't done any icing yet, but some people swear by it, so I'm in.
- I just put on a pair of my tallest (fairly tight) socks. I intend on buying a real pair of compression sleeves or socks in the near future!
- Elevation, lay around with my feet up? You don't have to twist my arm!
- I've also been doing and will continue to do lots of stretching and foam rolling.
I'm pretty frustrated, but I am learning what works and what doesn't and hopefully this doesn't set me back too long. We'll see!
Other thoughts from the week:
- I need to really start considering what I'm eating before I run. Burping up Chipotle while running 3 miles is not a good time!
- With the weather being so ridiculous warm for March, I think I need to start carrying water with me. I'm finding myself wishing I had some, when I didn't really think about it before.
Goals for week 12:
- Treat my shin splints & purchase a pair of compression sleeves or socks
- Workout 5 times this week (running or not), I don't really want to make running goals when I know it may be better to rest... we'll see.
Have you ever had shin splints? How did you deal?