Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Baby #2: Week 19


Hit the gym at 6 am Wednesday.  After overdoing it twice last week, I knew I had to keep things on the lighter side.  But while most people hate overhead squats, I love them!


I did my snatch + 2 OHS complexes at 55#, 65#, 75#, 80#, and ended with #85 and they felt great!


The WOD was also all barbell work, which is my kind of workout!  The Rx barbell weight (65#) felt easy.  I did all the squats unbroken and was able to rebound many of the hang power snatches from the high hang position (vs. needing to reset and take it down to above my knee).  I completed 4 rounds + 12 deadlifts + 3 OH squats.

Thursday was a big day... we officially booked Keli and paid our deposit!  We are utilizing her day of services, the same as last time, but we added a postpartum visit too.  I'm really excited to work with her again.

I also ordered the nursery furniture!  I picked the same brand of furniture we got for V because we like it so much.  I feel like it's hard to tell the quality of furniture when you're ordering online, so it's nice to know what we're getting.  All the nursery furniture seemed significantly more expensive this time around (RIP Babies R Us), but I used some coupons and shopped around to find the best deals.  Our in-laws are graciously gifting us the furniture, just like they did for V, so I really wanted it to be furniture that will last for years.  The crib converts to a toddler bed and eventually a full size bed, just like V's crib.  We got both dressers shown in the picture (but skipped the hutch attachment).


The office is completely empty and Dave has been working on patching and prepping the walls.  He is planning on doing all the painting over Fourth of July weekend.  We just need to actually pick a paint color... something like this, but we haven't pinned down the one.


Friday I blew off the gym for more sleep.  I was feeling pretty run down and my shoulder is still bothering me a little.  And when I checked the app and hated the workout, it was a done deal.

The weekend was full of playgrounds, playdates, family, and the Phillies!  I also got to play hooky from work on Monday and go to a golf outing.  It was a really fun weekend, but it was also a lot of driving and time in the sun, which was exhausting.



I had my 20 week midwife appointment yesterday.  It was uneventful, in a good way.  My belly is measuring on track and the baby's heartbeat was 150 bpm.  I've spent quite a bit of time at these appointments discussing my last birth, how my blood pressure was deemed high (in the final hours of my 30+ hour natural labor, imagine that...) and how that impacted things.  I wanted to labor in the shower with intermittent monitoring, but was stuck with the blood pressure cuff and the tight bands across my belly, both of which I hated almost more than my contractions.  They wanted a urine sample to check for preeclampsia, but the baby's head was too low so they ended up using a catheter to drain my bladder, which wasn't great without an epidural.  My blood pressure was deemed normal before delivery, so I did not receive any medication, but then they gave me something after I delivered.  And there's absolutely NOTHING about any of this in my birth records.  No indication of what medication I received.  No note of how high my blood pressure actually was.  Nothing.  The only note is that they had trouble monitoring me and the baby due to "the mother's desired positioning."  So that is super irritating.  Add all of that to the list of reasons why I'm doing my care through Lifecycle.

I've been prescribed baby aspirin, as a preventative measure, but at my 16 week appointment my midwife discussed possibly doing baseline labs to have something to compare to if my blood pressure ends up being an issue again.  She said she believes my blood pressure most likely won't cause any issues, since it was normal throughout my entire pregnancy aside from the last few hours, and that I'll probably be much more relaxed at the birth center vs. the hospital.  However we did discuss the possibility of a repeat and if I would need medication that the baseline labs can help avoid a misdiagnosis (for example if my numbers were high during labor, but my baselines were a little higher than normal, then the higher numbers may not necessarily indicate an issue).  Apparently the medication that is used to prevent seizures from preeclampsia makes you feel awful, so ideally I want to avoid it.  However, after much deliberation and discussion with Dave, my doula, and the midwife at my 20 week appointment, I've decided to skip the extra labs.  I feel like it's just one more thing to stress about, one more high deductible bill to pay, and the chance of it actually changing the outcome is slim.  If my blood pressure is high at birth and they tell me I need the medication, I will take it.  But right now, I'm choosing to let it go and hope that it will be a non issue.

On another note... I gained 6 lbs between week 16 and 20.  I feel like I was going through some kind of growth spurt this past week.  Ugh.  I gained 10 lbs during that time period last time though... so I guess it could be worse.  I've been trying to avoid the 60 lbs gain from last time, but part of me thinks that my body is going to do what it's going to do and I did lose 30 lbs in the week after birth so I know a great deal of the weight was baby + placenta + fluids.  We'll see.


And now... we're halfway!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...