Monday, April 16, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Week 15


Week 15:
- Tuesday, 6.01 mi with a group on the Perkiomen Trail, 58:56
- Wednesday, 10 min dog walk
- Thursday, 2.81 mi walk/run intervals, 26:07
- Friday, BTN arms
- Saturday, 8 mi with some ladies on the River Trail, 1:28:26, BTN arms & abs
- Total Mileage = 16.82 mi

Goals for week 15:
- Run 3 times: A+
- Leg workout: F
- Arms & abs 2 times: B+

This was a great running week!  Tuesday I went to the group run, there's usually two pacing groups and I started out with the fast group.  I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with them the entire time, but I figured I'd go as far as I could and then drop down and go join the slower group.  I stuck with them for the first two miles, but the pace kept getting faster and faster and so finally just when I thought I was going to be running alone, one of the other guys dropped back with me.


This was a great run.  Even after slowing down, we kept a great pace!

Then Thursday I tried out something new, I did walk/run intervals.


The goal was to run fast (well faster than my usual pace) during the running portions and then recover while I was walking.  I didn't go very far, but it was pretty tough.  Even with walk breaks (and lots of them) my pace was faster than usual.


I want to run faster in general... which means I have to run faster.  I can't sustain a 9:18 pace for an entire run (yet) but I think intervals are a great way to push my pace!  And yay for burning some extra calories!

Saturday was 8 miles and it was pretty uneventful.  The pace was slower than I generally cared for, but it made the miles easy and enjoyable.


Anyway, my runs were great this week, but additional fitness was kind of a flop.  I fit in some BTN arm exercise and did some ab work one day, but I haven't really been feeling inspired.  I would like to tone up for bsuit season and I know I have to shake up my routine to get the results I'm looking for!

Week 16 Goals:
- Run 3 times
- Try a new bodyrock.tv workout
- Planks 4 times

Running 9 miles this weekend, 10 next weekend, and then the Broad Street Run!  6 weeks until my half... holy moly!  I still can't believe I'm really doing this!

Do you ever find yourself in a fitness rut?  What's your favorite way to mix up your workouts?

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week of training! You are right about how to get faster. You just have to run at a pace that feels slightly uncomfortable, and eventually it won't feel that way anymore and it will feel natural! Intervals are a great way to begin training your body for speed if you do them once a week. I didn't care about pace until after my first big half marathon. Then I really wanted to push myself and see what I could do. I can tell by your interval splits and the first 2 miles of your 6 miler that you will have it in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're nuts! I don't know how are you doing it! The numbers looks pretty good to me, and I think 6 weeks will give you time to get faster. Now...the question is...how will you help post-pregnant momma get this weight off? Haha! Love ya! Kimber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you are kicking butt! If you want to shake up your routine other than running, hit me up! I've been doing cardio-pilates and it is INTENSE. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...