Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Week 7


Week 7:
- Wednesday, better than nothing workout (random body weight exercises in Dave's kitchen)
- Thursday, better than nothing workout (random body weight exercises at cheer practice), 2 yoga videos
- Sunday, 20 minute dog walk
- Total Mileage = 0 mi

This week was a big fail.  I actively took this week off from running to rest my hip, but that shouldn't have given me a free pass to be lazy all week.  If I can find time to run 3 times a week, I should still be able to find the time to workout without running!

Something that really surprised me over the past two weeks was how much I missed running!  I can't believe I'm saying it, but it's true.  We had some gorgeous weather and I just wanted to get out and go run.  I guess I could've gone for some walks instead, but it just wasn't the same.  Maybe I need to work on my all or nothing mentality, although I don't seem to have that issue with working out in general... I love those better than nothing workouts.  Thursday I did some jumping switch lunges and a bunch of cheer jumps and my hamstrings and shoulders were burning for a few days!

Goals for the week:
- Workout 3 times: C
- Buy a foam roller, learn more about it, and roll: B+
- Do some type of yoga: A
- Stretch 4 times: B-

Well, it's behind me now.  This week I'm looking forward to testing out the waters with a nice easy run.  If I don't have any pain then I'll be getting back into my training plan.  I definitely won't be following the week 8 schedule of my training plan, I need to ease myself back in.  My goals for week 8 are to workout 3 times (hopefully there will be some running, but either way I need to get moving), do another yoga workout, and do lots of foam rolling.

Oh and guess what I did this week, I signed up for the Broad Street Run!  It's a huge 10 mile run in Philadelphia, 3 weeks before my half.  Please, please, please let my hip pain be behind me, or at least something I can manage with rolling, yoga, and ice!  We will see... crossing my fingers!

How do you motivate yourself after a bad week?

2 comments:

  1. After a bad week, I don't try to pick back up right where I left off. In other words, don't set your goals too high for your first week back - just take it easy and ease back into it the next week, as it might take a few weeks to build back up again, but that's ok! Even if you are a little behind, the hype and excitement of the race will carry you a long way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your mentality of 'leaving it behind you'. I think a lot of people focus on their weekends of bad eating or a lazy week, which results in not working out at all because they're already in a 'slump', but if you try and live day to day I find it much easier to accomplish your goals.

    I heard the Broad Street Run is really fun so I'll definitely be there to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...