Monday, January 9, 2017

January Whole30(+5): Kicking Things Off + My Meal Plan for Days 1-5


You know how it goes.  Hate to be a stereotype, but the Christmas cookies are gone and my pants don't fit, so here we go!

I was already planning on doing something in January when my Whole30 support group started chattering away on facebook.  Then my coach announced a nutrition challenge at the gym, so I was locked in!  I was only planning on doing 25 days, but the gym challenge is 5 weeks, so I'm doing my first Whole35.  Ew lol.

What is the Whole30? 
  • Yes: Eat real food.
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed.

  • No: Avoid for 30 days.
More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.
  • Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial
  • Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking.
  • Do not eat grains.
  • Do not eat legumes.
  • Do not eat dairy
  • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.
  • Do not try to re-create baked goods,  junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. 
  • One last and final rule: You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program.

Today is Day 1 and I'm feeling excited!  My menu for the week is full of tried and true favorites, some simple and quick, mixed with others that require a little more effort.  Healthy eating does not have to be boring!


  • Paleo Pad Thai - This one is pretty simple, but has a bit of prep work.  I typically use almond butter instead of sunflower and this time I added bell peppers, water chestnuts, shiitake mushrooms, and shrimp!
  • The Easiest and Most Delicious Crockpot Beef Ever - This recipe is so easy and simple.  I sub coconut aminos for the Worcestershire sauce and always add baby carrots.
  • Bora Bora Fireballs - I haven't made this recipe in a while, but I know it's awesome.  Pork, pineapple, and coconut... these are a few of my favorite things!
  • Krista's Quick and Easy Crab and Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms - This one is packed with veggies and comes together super quick if you have a food processor.  And you can really throw in whatever protein you want.
  • German Bratwurst (from Wegmans) with Sauerkraut and Potatoes Sauteed in Ghee - Because sometimes all you want to do is throw some stuff in a pan.

In addition to staying compliant with my diet, I've made a few other goals:
  • Gym 4x per week
  • Floss every night
  • 75 oz of water per day
  • 10 minutes of stretching per day
  • No coffee
  • No frivolous spending (no personal shopping, only groceries & necessary house expenses)

It's time to get my life together and I couldn't be more ready for this change!

Are you doing anything in the new year to turn over a new leaf?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...