Friday, January 16, 2015

Guest Post: Krista's Quick and Easy Crab and Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Hi, Happy Friday :) Today I'm so excited to share a guest post from my friend Krista!  She is an amazing Paleo chef and definitely inspires me in the kitchen.  Hopefully this will not be the only time we hear from her!


Friday nights in are a luxury we don’t often have at our house with our busy schedules, so tonight it was great to make an early dinner and get to hang out even though we're missing a weekend of skiing being sick at home. My favorite thing to do, when I have the time for it, is improvise in the kitchen and make new fun recipes. I've made stuffed portobello mushrooms before, but this time, knowing Amber wanted me to make a guest post, for the first time ever I actually wrote down the recipe while I was cooking! If you know me, you know this is a big deal because my mind and hands are always in a billion places at a time in the kitchen.

Working 11 hours a day makes it tough to find time to cook when I get home, but one of the things I always try to do in the kitchen is find ways to speed up the prep process without sacrificing taste. When making anything stuffed where the pieces need to be minced but not necessarily uniform sizes my secret tool is the blender. Sounds weird, I know! But how annoying is it to stand there and mince all your veggies with one of those things you bang on the table - or even worse, take the time to cut them with a knife?! Not me, that's for sure. This recipe is super easy because there is very little prep involved when you only have to push a button and maybe scrape the sides a little bit. (If your blender is an older model that needs liquid to run without burning out you'll need to use a food processor instead!)


My other two must have kitchen tools are specifically for garlic. I'm Italian; I love fresh minced garlic and I'm proud of it. It's so annoying to prep and mince though unless you have the two magical tools I have. The white tube is from Pampered Chef and all you have to do is slide in a clove of garlic with the skin still on it and roll it on the table back and forth. It removes the skin for you so your hands don't smell! Then pop it whole into the other round orange tool and roll that on the table, it minces it for you so you don't have to cut it up. Beautiful. There's nothing like the taste of fresh minced garlic.


These are just a few of the tricks that can help you make those awesome whole30 dinners quickly and deliciously. There's probably a bunch more online, and people like me who have been eating Paleo for 2+ years are an awesome resource. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to let me know what you think of the recipe!

Crab and Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Makes 4 medium or 2 large mushrooms
*Sauce recipe is still in development but the one found here is a good pairing.

Ingredients:
- 4 medium or 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup tightly packed lump crab meat
- 2 cups loosely packed cauliflower chunks
- 1/2 cup tightly packed spinach
- 4 mini peppers of any color (I buy the multicolor mini pepper bags)
- 1/4 of an onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning

Directions:
1. Set oven to 375°.
2. Line the baking sheet with tinfoil or silicone baking mat for easy cleaning.
3. Scoop the insides out of the mushrooms with a spoon, being careful not to break the sides (unless you're like me and buy ones that are already broken!) It helps keep the filling inside. Rub or brush a small amount of avocado oil over the top and bottom of the mushrooms so they don't dry out and place on the baking sheet. Discard the insides of the mushroom.


4. Place cauliflower chunks into blender or food processor (depending on the size you have it may take more than one round to “rice” all of the cauliflower) and use the pulse setting to mince or “rice” the cauliflower.
5. If you have a smaller unit, transfer this to a large bowl. My ninja can fit this along with the other ingredients. Place onion, garlic, spinach, and peppers into blender or food processor and pulse until minced. Transfer to same large bowl.



6. Add crab to bowl and stir in. Next, pour in 1 tbsp avocado oil and 1 tsp lemon juice along with the salt, pepper, oregano, and old bay seasoning. Stir in and combine all ingredients. It should be clumping easily and not cracking apart, but if it looks too dry add a bit more oil.
7. Scoop onto portobello mushrooms pressing lightly to compress and shape. Try to keep the stuffing inside the rims of the mushroom if possible.


8. Bake uncovered for 25-35 minutes depending on size and thickness of the mushrooms. Should be soft when it's done with a very light crust on top. Serve plain, or pair with Remoulade sauce. Nom away!


Thank you so much Krista!  I can't wait to make these :) 

What's your favorite time saving trick in the kitchen?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...