Saturday, February 20, 2016

My February Whole30: Days 5 - 10

I can't believe I'm already on Day 11 of this Whole30.  So far things have been pretty smooth and my pants are already starting to fit better!

Day 5 - Sunday 2/14/16
  • Brunch: Pizza Frittata (added onions & peppers, skipped the nutritional yeast) topped with tomato sauce, a clementine, some almond stuffed olives, and basically a sip of coffee
  • Snack: Salad
  • Dinner: Steak, scallops fried in ghee, and asparagus and cherry tomatoes roasted in EVOO and garlic
  • Sleep: 7.5 hours + 1 hour nap
  • Workout: Laziest Sunday ever!
  • Thoughts: I was so hungry between brunch and dinner.  I really wanted to munch on something, but I settled for salad leftovers from the night before.  Dinner was delicious.  I did not feel sad about not going out for Vday at all.  We used our brand new cast iron pan for the steak and the scallops and they both came out great.  I REALLY wanted some chocolate before bed, but I just ignored the craving.


Day 6 - Monday 2/15/16
  • Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, some grapes
  • Lunch: Leftover Crockpot Beef with carrots and Mashed Cauliflower
  • Dinner: Leftover Paleo Shepherd's Pie and two almond stuffed olives
  • Snack: A clementine
  • Sleep: 8 hours
  • Workout: Wanted to go to the gym but I decided not driving in the snow was a better option.
  • Thoughts: I felt pretty great all day energy wise.  I am definitely craving sugar like crazy!
Day 7 - Tuesday 2/16/16
  • Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, grapes
  • Lunch: Leftover Paleo Shepherd's Pie
  • Snack: Since I knew it was "Treat Tuesday" in my office I brought myself a nice spread of pepperoni, prosciutto, pickles, and plantain chips and salsa.
  • Dinner: Leftover Crockpot Beef with carrots and Mashed Cauliflower
  • Sleep: 7.5 hours
  • Workout: 0.8 mi dog walk + CrossFit
    • Skill: 4 rounds, :20 max wall balls , :10 rest - I got 43 wall balls, which I was very proud of.
    • Strength: 5x3 Back Squats w/3 second descent and 3 second pause at the bottom - I started at 95 lbs and worked up to 135 lbs!
    • WOD:
      • 21 Back Squats (115/75)
      • 21 Burpee Box Jumps (24"/20")
      • 15 Front Squats
      • 15 Burpee Box Jumps
      • 9 Overhead Squats
      • 9 Burpee Box Jumps
I used 55# and finished in 9:40.  I probably should've gone heavier because the squats didn't feel too bad.  Actually the 9 OH squats at the end were supposed to be the worst part of the workout and they ended up being a piece of cake for me.  The burpee box jumps took forever.  I still feel like my lack of endurance is holding me back in my workouts.
    • Barbell Club:
      • Snatch deadlifts 5x2
      • Squat snatch from high hang 5x3
      • Snatch deadlift, snatch high pull, power snatch 8x1
I kept these all pretty light and only worked up to 65# for each movement.  The deadlifts can be pretty taxing on my back and I was feeling some pain in my left shoulder at the top of the snatch.  Desperately trying to listen to my body.
  • Thoughts: Considering day 7 is "I just want a nap..." on the Whole30 timeline, I feel like I have so much energy.  I'm loving that I have all these leftovers and I'm getting a break from cooking.
Day 8 - Wednesday 2/17/16
  • Breakfast: Leftover Pizza Frittata and 2 clementines
  • Lunch: Coconut cashew chicken with sweet potatoes and cauliflower rice from Kettlebell Kitchen
  • Dinner: Apple chicken sausage with brussel sprouts, sweet potato, and onion with a little balsamic vinegar and half an avocado
  • Sleep: 7.5 hours
  • Workout: 0.8 mi dog walk
  • Thoughts: My skin was going haywire the first few days and it's finally starting to calm down.

Day 9 Thursday 2/18/16
  • Breakfast: Leftover Pizza Frittata
  • Lunch: Leftover chicken sausage with brussel sprouts, sweet potato, and onion with a little balsamic vinegar and a small avocado
  • Dinner: I intended on grabbing a salad from Wegmans between CrossFit and choir rehearsal but I was in a rush and wasn't very hungry anyway.  When I got home at 9:30 pm I was over it and just went to bed.
  • Sleep: 7.5 hours
  • Workout: CrossFit
    • Skill: 4 rounds, :20 max box jumps, :10 rest - I got 39 box jumps, the most of all the girls for the day!
    • Strength: 8 minute EMOM of Power Snatch + Hang Snatch - I got up to 75 lbs.
    • WOD: 
      • 15-12-9 Deadlifts (225/155)
      • 9-6-3 Deadlifts (275/185)
      • 8 Hand Release Push Ups + 15 Sit Ups after each round
Ugh, my back wasn't feeling great before we even started.  I knew deadlifts were not going to be a good idea for me and I started to get really upset.  My coach set me up with a 35 lbs kettlebell to deadlift, which was obviously a lot lighter, but also put me in a different position, with my legs a little wider, which was better for my back.  Lifting 35 lbs when 155 is prescribed was a bit of a blow to my ego, but it is what it is.  I finished in 9:01.
  • Thoughts: I can't believe I wasn't dying of hunger by the time I got home.  I feel like I'm really starting to sleep like a rock. 

Day 10 - Friday 2/19/16
  • Breakfast: Leftover Pizza Frittata, 2 clementines, and then my work had a free breakfast spread so I stuck to the fruit including strawberries, kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, and pineapple.
  • Lunch: Leftover Paleo Shepherd's Pie 
  • Dinner: Paleo Pad Thai
  • Sleep: 7.5 hours
  • Workout: About an hour of boulder climbing, which was so difficult!  The walls were all slightly inverted and it took so much upper body and grip strength.
  • Thoughts: We went out to the bar after rock climbing and I had absolutely no problem not drinking.

1/3 of the way there!

Did you cook anything special for Valentines Day?

3 comments:

  1. You are killing this whole 30 business!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sprinkle "pancakes" (the banana and egg kind) for my kids on Valentine's Day. Now Squish wants sprinkles on everything!

    Scaling down in Crossfit is such an ego bust. When I see other people trade down to lighter weights I'm always thinking, "ooh, you're smart. Good for you for listening to your body!" Then when I have to do it, I get crabby.

    Keep killing it!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...