Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My First CrossFit Class

What is CrossFit: CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program that delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive.  The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts.

I had been dreaming of trying CrossFit for quite some time, but the expensive price tag ($119 per month for 2 classes a week, eek!) had kept me from taking the plunge until one day I saw a LivingSocial deal for our local box (aka CrossFit gym).  We had just joined the Y, I had a yoga deal to utilize, and my schedule was rounded out with coaching cheer and playing volleyball so I was slightly hesitant.  But in the end, I decided I had nothing to lose, I would either love CrossFit or I would use the techniques I learned from the classes back at the Y.

The deal I purchased was for the 4 session On Ramp Course you take to learn all the basics before you get thrown into the regular group workouts.  I got the deal a while ago, but we were sort of dragging our feet to get to the classes.  The On Ramp session times didn't really seem to jive with our already stacked schedule.  So we waited until the last possible time to start before the deal expired.  Better late than never!  Determined to get my money's worth, I emailed the gym and asked them if we could schedule a special session since we couldn't make the regular class.  The coach was flexible and we scheduled our first session for Monday night at 7:30!

We showed up early as the group from the previous workout was stretching.  As soon as we walked in the door, multiple people got up to greet us and introduce themselves.  One of the biggest things I've heard about CrossFit is the amazing community and it was demonstrated to us immediately.  We filled out some waivers, the crowd cleared out, and we started our session!

We did a quick warm up of easy cardio and dynamic stretching.  Then the first thing we worked on was proper squatting technique.  I thought I'd be great at the squats but I learned that I'd never squatted low enough!  I was quickly humbled and found myself falling over.  We spent some time getting more comfortable squatting low and I could already feeling my hip flexors getting a workout.  And if you're thinking, ERMEHGERD that's bad for your knees, read this or this!


Next we went over push up technique.  Adjusting my arms from wide 90 degree bends to keeping my elbows as close to my body as possible and putting my chest all the way to the ground gave me another reality check.  After push ups, we did some simple sit ups.  No big surprises here except that CrossFit lets you use your arms to help you up.  We finished out our technique review getting some experience on the rowing machine.

Sounds easy right?  It was... until the Workout of the Day (WOD).  CrossFit classes typically start with reviewing techniques and then you do the WOD, which features the techniques you just went over.

Our WOD was as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) in 8 minutes and consisted of:
  • 5 squats
  • 5 push ups
  • 5 sit ups
  • 200m row
Our coach pumped up the music, set the timer, and asked us who was going to be the winner?!  Dave and I busted our butts for 8 minutes with our coach yelling form corrections and encouragement!  We completed 4 full rounds and a 5th round of the squats, push ups, and sit ups and boy was I winded!  My arms were feeling the burn between the push ups (that I was struggling through) and the rowing.

I left thinking... 8 minutes kicked my ass!  Nobody can say they don't have time to workout.  Our next session is Saturday morning at 10:15 and I think it's safe to say that I won't be drinking at the party I'm attending Friday night, attending CrossFit hungover would be quite a mistake.  I'm pretty sore today but I think some of it is from some conditioning at cheerleading last night.  I'll keep you posted on how the next class goes but so far so good!

Have you ever tried a new fitness class that was bit out of your comfort zone?  Have you ever tried CrossFit?!

6 comments:

  1. I have not tried cross fit. I am scared of getting injured...just seems too intense to me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do say it can be scaled for anybody including elderly or out of shape, but I think it is pretty intense. I think the intensity comes from challenging yourself though. Competing against the clock, knowing that you have 8 minutes to go all out... it made me really push myself hard. I do know people talk about getting injured from bad coaching, but in the 2 classes I've attended there's been a lot of attention to our form.

      Delete
  2. My bf tried crossfit (deal on Groupon) for a month and loved it. I joined him for one class and was sore for a week! The $100 mo. Was too much to go again but lucky for us we go to the gym on post at the army war college for free. It is a crossfitter's dream! Crazy to see how they completely re did the gym to accommodate crossfit workouts. We do our cardio warmup and stretch, one or two skill sets with the bar, our WOD and then we run 1+ miles. Its become our norm workout.

    I like these workouts:

    30 manmakers
    30 pushups
    30 sit ups
    30 squats
    Repeat doing 20 reps each
    Repeat doing 10 reps each

    In 8 min (Amrap)
    10 Burpees
    40 single unders (or 20 double unders)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds awesome! Love the workouts. At this point I think I'm going to pay the drop in rate and go to a few of the group workouts before I make any (expensive) monthly commitments, but I like it so far! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. ERMEHGERD!?! Good thing I know how to translate "Amber" into English! LOL!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burpees are the best/worse ;)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...