Monday, March 11, 2013

How to Prep for Your Whole30!

Wow!  I've had an overwhelming response to my last post, apparently you're interested in The Whole30 Program.  It seems like we should have quite a group for the April Whole30!  I plan on doing a lot of support for the program through the Busy Bold Blessed Facebook page, so please go like it if you haven't yet!


I am such a planner, sometimes I may even go a bit overboard... but when it comes to the Whole30, planning ahead is the key to success!  Here's a list of some things you can do now to prep for April 1st:

Get inspired:  When I was first considering doing a Whole30, I started reading a ton of success stories that really got me excited about the concept.
Do your research:  If you understand the whys of the Whole30, it will be much easier to follow!
  • I just purchased It Starts With Food, a book by the creators of the Whole30 which summarizes the science behind the program.  You don't need the book to do the Whole30, but if you click on the link and scroll down, you can see all the raving reviews for the book!
  • The Whole9 website also has an awesome list of resources!
  • Mark's Daily Apple also covers a ton of topics!  (Note, the Primal Blueprint is the program promoted on MDA, it's not as strict as the Whole30, but Mark thoroughly covers the science behind avoiding grainswhy sugar is evil, being picky about which oils you consume, and much more!
  • Browse the Whole30 forums, they are full of information from real people who have done the program.
  • Google any additonal questions you may have!
Reach out for support:  I hope to help you all throughout your 30 day journey, please feel free to message me on Facebook or email me at BusyBoldBlessed@gmail.com, but some additional support will only make it easier!
  • Tell your family and friends that you will be doing the program, ask them to support you!  It will be much easier to avoid off program foods if your loved ones aren't shoving them in your face.  If you're the cook for your family, decide if you'll be making delicious compliant meals for everyone and that's it or if you'll be preparing non compliant foods for other people.  I cooked what I cooked and sometimes Dave added cheese or a non compliant condiment to his plate if he wanted, but there was no way I was making him a separate dish when the dinner I prepared was both healthy and tasty, and he didn't complain!
  • Share the Whole30 Timeline with your family, so they know how you're feeling!
Plan ahead:
  • Start to evaluate your diet now!  During the first few days of the Whole30, your body will be in carb withdrawal and you may even feel ill.  As the timeline states:  "it is definitely true that the amount of suck you experience in this phase is directly proportional to the amount of crap you consumed before you began the program." If you start making small changes now, you can avoid the dreaded carb flu!
  • Start looking at food labels, take a glance at the long list of undesirable ingredients in every salad dressing in your fridge (HFCS, soybean or canola oil, etc.), notice that there's sugar in most kinds of packaged sausages or hams, aim to eat items that don't have ingredient lists.
  • Check out the shopping list and start evaluating your freezer, pantry, and fridge.  There are certain things you may want to stock up on beforehand.  I would recommend purchasing some coconut oil (I cook everything in it!).  Maybe you'll be interested in grabbing some new spices (I know I bought a few during mine).  In the grocery store, items like bacon and beef jerky often contain added sugar, but compliant versions can be found online!  Also, work on finishing some non compliant foods hanging out in your pantry or consider giving them away to friends or donating them.
  • Start thinking about what you're going to cook!  Here's 30 days of Whole30 compliant dinners!  Maybe you want to look into a cookbook, I did a lot of cooking from Practical Paleo!  Another great cookbook is Well Fed.  Google "whole30 compliant recipe with whatever meal you're craving."
Ok, I think that's probably enough of an information overload for now!  Be sure to check out all the links in this post, there's so much helpful info.  I will definitely do another post containing more tips for while you're actually doing the program, but for now get planning!

Note:  I have no association with The Whole30 Program.  I just think it's such an enlightening program, I couldn't help but share it!

Are you in?!  What questions do you have?

2 comments:

  1. You are wealth of resources!! So many great links, and although I'm not doing the Whole30, I do find it interesting to research and learn about. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need a wholesale grocery store date. Time to stock up on the goods :-)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...