- Tuesday, 5.9 mi, 59:42 with my running group, 1 minute plank
- Friday, arms & abs, 1 minute plank
- Saturday, 10 mi, 1:47:42, 1 minute plank, 15 minute dog walk
- Sunday, 20 minute yoga video on Xfinity On Demand, lots of stretching
- Total Mileage = 15.90 mi
Week 17 Goals:
- Planks, 3 times: A+
- Arms & abs, 2 times: B+
- Finish my 10 miler: A+
An excellent week for my goals! Still can't get over the fact that I ran 10 miles. And I even did yoga, along with some foam rolling, it really helped me recover from Saturday. I've been experiencing some knee pain since I tweaked my knee a few weeks ago when I tripped over a gift playing gift giver at Kimber's baby shower (womp for being clutsy!), so when I felt a little knee pain on Tuesday I decided I would rest until my 10 miler. It worked out and my knee felt good while I was running, but it definitely felt rough the rest of the day. Hopefully I can listen to my body and avoid a serious injury!
Anyway, now I'm getting super pumped for this weekend! I'm running the Broad Street Run, along with 30,000 people! Two of those people being Shayna and Jenn! There's also a bunch of people from my work running too. On Friday I'm taking a half day and heading down to the city to check out the expo and pick up my race packet with one of my coworkers. I'm excited for my first race expo. I'm getting paid on Friday and heck, I've been training since January, I think I deserve some goodies ;)
I am kinda anxious for the race too:
1. It's my first race longer than a 5K. I'm nervous I'll go out too fast, choke on water trying to drink quickly through water stations, and/or generally burn out at the end.
2. 30,000 people + spectators = clusterfuck, I'm worried about traffic, bathroom lines, finding people, completely missing Dave when I run by him, etc.
3. My knee... I'm just praying that it feels ok during the race! I have a knee brace from a random injury a few years ago, but I'm not even sure it would help and I really don't want to run with it for the first time at the race (hello possibility of horribly chafing). I'm also still keeping my eyes on the prize. I don't want to go all out at this race if it means I'm not going to be able to run my half. So I may end up taking it easier than I want to. We'll see!
Week 18 Goals:
- Ice my knee
- Planks 3 times
- Prep for the Broad Street Run (early to bed, clean eating, hydrating)
But wow, it's May and I can't believe I'm running my half marathon this month! Seems like just yesterday I was struggling with 2 miles and wondering if my hip pain was going to be a serious injury. Now I'm feeling like a boss!
Have you run in any large races? Any tips for dealing with the crowds?