Sunday, February 5, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Week 5


5 down, 16 to go!

Week 5:
- Tuesday, 2.91 mi around my neighborhood, 30 min
- Wednesday, 5 mi on the Perkiomen Trail, 50 min
- Thursday, 20 minute dog walk before work
- Friday, 20 minute dog walk
- Sunday, 15 minute dog walk
- Total Mileage = 7.91 mi

This week started off great!  I ran outside on Tuesday night after meeting up with the girls.  I kept the run nice and slow and I felt fantastic.  I have no problem with running like a turtle if it means I'm going to be smiling during it!  And my new shoes felt great.

Wednesday night I met up with my running group for another trail run.  The pace was a bit quicker than last time and I ended up running through a side stitch, but running with the group really challenged me to keep going.  50 degree weather helps too.  Can you believe how warm it's been?  And did I mention I ran 5 miles for the first time?!  I'm really impressing myself every week.

Thursday Dave and I got up before work to walk the dog.  It was only a walk, but it was an accomplishment getting out before work.  And then things started going downhill.  It all started with that funny feeling in my throat and next thing I knew I had a full blown cold.  I felt terrible on Friday and left work early.  I'm upset that I'm not getting my third run in this week, but I know recovery is important, and it's kind of hard to run when you can't breath out of your nose... just a little bit!  At least the doggie got walked.  I also didn't use my gym membership at all this week, I've definitely been slacking on that.  Womp.

On a side note, GO GIANTS!  I love Super Bowl Sunday and I love it even more when my team is playing!  It's always a bit rough being a Giants fan in Eagles country, but who likes Tom Brady anyway?  Let's go Gmen!

Do you workout when your sick?  Or do you take it easy and just try to recover?

Read more about my training here!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on training for your first 1/2 marathon - that's so exciting! I generally don't work out when I am sick, even if I am training for something, like an upcoming race. It's better to take the time off, rest and get back at it when you are 100%. If you push it when you are sick, you end up feeling worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you're sick!! It's definitely better to rest and recover, rather than push yourself too hard and really have to be out of the training game for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for half marathon training!! I ran my first in October and I'm officially addicted. I was sick during my training too and I did not run. It was my initial urge to try to make up those miles- but I was advised to just move on w/o looking back. You won't miss a beat! Let your body rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rest up completely when I'm sick. I've done some trial and error, and found that sickly workouts only make me feel crappier. Way to go on that training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better! 5 miles, woo hoooo! You know what's really crazy? Not too far from now, we're going to be saying that we're going out for 10 MILE RUNS! Nuts. Go us!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile, so keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...